Capacitar is an international network of empowerment and solidarity whose vision is: Healing ourselves, healing our world. Capacitar teaches simple practices of healing, team-building and self-development to awaken people to their own source of wisdom and strength so they can reach out to heal injustice, work for peace and transform themselves, their families and communities. Using a popular education approach, Capacitar has worked in over 45 countries in the Americas, Africa, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Capacitar is a Spanish word meaning to empower, to encourage, to bring each other to life.
Capacitar’s beginnings go back to the 1980s, the war years in Central America, when Sr. Mary Hartman, CSA, a member of the Nicaraguan Human Rights Commission, invited Pat Cane to work on a grassroots art festival. During the event as Pat practiced Tai Chi and acupressure for her own self-care, Mary said: “Your art is great, but when will you teach us how to do ‘that’!” Mary intuitively recognized the value of these ancient wellness practices to help people deal with the violence and trauma of their lives. With this insight Capacitar was born. From CANTERA, a center in Nicaragua, came the method of popular education based on the work of Brazilian Paulo Freire. Through popular education people awaken to their own wisdom and possibilities, empowered to multiply what they learn in the community. Capacitar adapted Freire’s approach to awaken “body literacy,” integrating skills for body, mind and spirit to empower people to heal their own lives so they could reach out to transform their families and communities.
Since that time, Capacitar workshops have been requested all over the world, and Capacitar has developed training programs and materials in the following areas:
- MULTICULTURAL WELLNESS EDUCATION
- TRAUMA HEALING
- HEALING OURSELVES
- CARE FOR CAREGIVERS AND THOSE WITH CANCER, HIV, TRAUMA
- REFUGEE ACCOMPANIMENT
- CLIMATE CRISIS RESPONSE
- CAPACITAR FOR CHILDREN, TEACHERS, AND FAMILIES
- LEADERSHIP: TEAM AND ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- WORKSHOPS, RETREATS & PRESENTATIONS
- NATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL, AND REGIONAL GATHERINGS
You can get involved with Capacitar in several ways:
- Participate in a Training: Capacitar workshops and trainings are given within the United States and internationally. To find a workshop or training in your area click here or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sponsor a Workshop; Would your group or organization benefit from a Capacitar workshop? Capacitar will work with you to assess the needs of your group and will customize the workshop for the group. A Capacitar certified trainer will facilitate the workshop. Sponsors are responsible for training logistics and costs, including the training site, snacks and meals for participants, setting fees to cover costs, and collecting and disbursing monies. For more information or to discuss your training needs, contact email@example.com.
- Special Giving Opportunities: To make a cash donations, a gift of stocks or bonds or donate part of you IRA distribution, click this button. Donate