Muslims for Progressive Values
Muslims for Progressive Values (MPV) advocates for human rights, social justice and inclusion in the United States and around the world. Since its inception in 2007, MPV has been devoted to establishing and nurturing vibrant progressive Muslim communities worldwide. MPV envisions a future where Islam is understood as a source of dignity, justice, compassion and love for all humanity and the world.
On a global level, MPV carries out activities geared at advocating against human rights abuses carried out in the name of Islam in Muslim-majority states. These issues include women’s rights, discrimination against LGBTQI communities, freedom of and from religion, and freedom of expression. At the end of 2013, MPV secured Consultative Status at the United Nations (UN)
The activities carried out under MPV’s Global Advocacy Work fall under the following categories:
- Production, translation and dissemination of innovative educational materials addressing key areas of concern, such as infographics, social media content, short videos.
- Translation and dissemination of MPV’s shadow reports, policy briefs, statements.
- Participating in debates, interactive dialogues, panel discussions and informal meetings with relevant Member States of the UN, civil society leaders and like-minded religious and non-religious non-governmental organizations.
- Organizing and attending parallel events and hosting of speakers, including scholars in Islam, progressive religious leaders and civil society leaders, to share their expertise and first-hand accounts on human rights issues to a global audience.
- Production of statements, policy briefs and shadow reports to be shared with country representatives, policy makers, civil society and lay audience.
- Monitoring of human rights issues in Muslim-majority countries.
- Collection of grassroots information on human rights issues in Muslim-majority countries.
- Sharing MPV’s mission, vision and guiding principles with women and LGBTQI human rights advocates, religious minority advocates, UN Member States, human rights NGOs and members of relevant UN human rights committees to build support and collaboration in preparing oral and written statements and when building advocacy campaigns.
- Promoting perspectives derived from MPV’s work and analyses to the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), UN treaty bodies and special mechanisms, and international, regional, and national NGOs involved in international advocacy.
Muslims for Progressive Values is a grassroots organization with inclusive communities established in several areas. You can click on a community for more information. You can also subscribe to MPV’s newsletter. MPV is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization that has received Guidestar’s 2017 Silver Seal of Transparency. MPV accepts donations.