Upward African Woman
Upward African Woman (UAW) is a 501(c)3 non-profit California based public benefit corporation whose goal of empowering women and children includes the establishment of sustainable programs for recipients who are primarily the victims of cultural, mental, sexual, and physical abuse and neglect. UAWsupports the following programs:
- Ongoing scholarship program at 2nd Image Academy in Accra, Ghana: Every year the Upward African Woman team travels to the school and awards scholarships to 5 to 10 girls. After the girls gradauate from the program, they are provided tools to make them self sufficient.
- Supporting Compton Early College High School: This is a college prep school for teenagers who are mostly the first generation in their families to attend college. They are in need of role models and mentors, and Upward African Woman supplies that need.
- Day Care and Elementary School in Mombasa, Kenya: Upward African Woman works with Bee Bong Academy to provide children with a safe environment to get an education while their mothers go out to earn a livelihood. We do this by providing them with meals and licensed teachers in order to provide excellent education to these underprivileged children.
- Annual Thanksgiving Feed the Poor/Homeless Program Los Angeles: For the past 4 years Upward African Woman has provided hot traditional Thanksgiving meals to at least 300 people in MacArthur Park. Sometimes they are able to provide extras, such as socks and blankets.
- School Supplies for Orphans: Upward African Woman provides backpacks or drawstring bags filled with school supplies to an orphanage in Ghana and to two schools in Nigeria.
- Mentorship program in Accra, Ghana: About 1000 women attend the seminars each year. Following the seminars, mentors are available to participants for individual discussions.
- The UAW Community Development program focuses on improving the quality of life of African women and children; through funding projects that bring housing, community facilities, utilities (such as water bore holes) and other services. We also provide technical assistance and financing for small businesses and agricultural cooperatives.Upward African Woman accepts donations at http://upwardafricanwoman.org/donate
You can contact them about volunteer opportunities at email@example.com
There is a fundraising event coming up: Celebrating Hope, on the 14th of October, 2018, at the Beverly Hills Women’s Club in Beverly Hills. We invite everyone to come and experience the African culture, with foods from different parts of Africa and entertainment. Tickets can be purchased at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fundraiser-tickets-46096476803?aff=erelexpmlt