I love this charity because it focuses on the real issues instead of wearing pink ribbons and running in marathons. If you go to their website you will find opportunities to volunteer or to become involved in other ways.
This is what they say about themselves:
An independent voice
More than 30 years after the launch of the breast cancer awareness movement and the introduction of the pink ribbon, breast cancer remains a public health crisis and a social justice issue. However, the mainstream breast cancer movement remains squarely focused on pink ribbons, “awareness” campaigns, and mammography screening. This focus fails to address the systemic issues at the heart of this epidemic, instead emphasizing individual risk and individual solutions. But individual action alone, whether in terms of lifestyle or behavioral choices, is not sufficient to tackle the root causes of the breast cancer epidemic.
Among the endless sea of lucrative breast cancer charities, corporate donors, and pharmaceutical-funded research agendas, the independent voice that defines Breast Cancer Action has never been more urgently needed, and our relevance as an activist watchdog organization is greater than ever. At BCAction, we focus on systemic interventions that will address the root causes of the disease and produce broad public health benefits. These benefits will ensure that fewer women develop breast cancer and die from breast cancer and no community bears a disproportionate burden of diagnosis or death from this disease.
Breast Cancer Action’s mission is to achieve health justice for all women at risk of and living with breast cancer.
We believe in:
- Health justice as a human right
- Honesty, fearlessness and truth-telling about the breast cancer epidemic
- Honoring women’s diverse voices and lived experiences
- People’s health and well-being over corporate profits
- Transparency and accountability for ourselves and others
- Integrity and freedom from conflict of interest
- Collective action that changes the world for the better
Being the Watchdog
We will work tirelessly and fearlessly to address and end the current breast cancer epidemic:
- Until no community bears a disproportionate burden of the disease
- Until fewer people are exposed to toxins that increase their risk of breast cancer
- Until everyone affected by breast cancer has access to unbiased information about the disease
- Until quality healthcare, and more effective and less toxic breast cancer treatments, are available and accessible to all who need it
- Until fewer women experience the harms of overdiagnosis and overtreatment
- Until people everywhere have access to the resources and opportunities they need so they can fully engage in decisions about their healthcare and overall well-being according to their values and priorities
- Until people’s health comes before corporate profits
- Until fewer people develop and/or die from this disease in the first place
To go to the Breast Cancer Action website, click here (opens in a new window)